The annual Vancouver Estate Planning Conference provides a venue for multidisciplinary advisors within the Estate Planning Community to learn together and foster team approaches for the benefit of clients.
This year, an LK Law lawyer presented a plenary session titled “Time for Action: Bringing the Next Generation to the Table”.
The discussion included the opportunities for clients to bring their adult children into the conversation with respect to their estate and incapacity planning, including:
1. Insights on how advisors can add further value to their clients’ estate planning;
2. Content that clients can consider discussing during family meetings, that can result in better planning and lessen the risk of future disputes;
3. Issue spotting regarding client circumstances that may require more planning and attention;
4. Key questions that advisors can pose to their clients; and
5. Cultural considerations with respect to family dynamics.
This article is intended to be an overview of the law and is for informational purposes only. Readers are cautioned that this article does not constitute legal or professional advice and should not be relied on as such. Rather, readers should obtain specific legal advice in relation to the issues they are facing.