Legal Practice Areas:
Jessica is an associate lawyer in both Lindsay Kenney’s Vancouver and Langley offices. She is a designated Trust and Estate Practitioner (TEP), and primarily assists clients in the areas of estate and incapacity planning, estate administration, and corporate matters. She cares about getting to know her clients and helping them find the most practical and effective solution for their individual needs.
With respect to estate and incapacity planning, Jessica works with clients to help identify their objectives and concerns, and advises on planning tailored for their unique circumstances. To implement this planning, she regularly prepares a variety of supporting documentation where needed in each case – these may include wills, powers of attorney, representation agreements, advance directives, trust documents, and various others. With regard to estate administration, she provides well-considered advice and assistance to executors (or other personal representatives) so that they can fulfill their legal duties prudently and efficiently.
For corporate matters, Jessica provides legal services that include the creation and maintenance of new business entities, succession planning, and corporate reorganizations.
Jessica’s previous experience provides a well-rounded perspective to any legal issue. Prior to joining LK Law in early 2015, Jessica worked as a general practitioner in a small, full-service law firm in downtown Vancouver and as a personal injury lawyer in the Tri-Cities area. Previous to that, she completed her articles in downtown Vancouver at a national firm known for its labour and employment law practice.
Called to the British Columbia Bar in 2011, Jessica holds a law degree from the University of Victoria, and a Bachelor of Science in cell biology and genetics with a minor in Commerce from the University of British Columbia.
Jessica was born and raised in Vancouver, and is able to skillfully assist clients in Cantonese and Mandarin.
When not at the office, Jessica likes to spend her time gardening, trying out new recipes, entertaining family and friends, and creating a variety of crafts. She also enjoys playing ultimate Frisbee, practicing yoga and has recently taken up golf and floor hockey.
Presentations and Publications
- “Estate and Incapacity Planning” workshop series (Cantonese), hosted by S.U.C.C.E.S.S., September – November 2019
- “Time for Action: Bringing the Next Generation to the Table”, Estate Planning Conference, October 2018
- “Estate Planning and Wealth Management Seminar”, hosted by BMO Financial Group, October 2018
- “Estate Planning: What Everyone Needs to Know”, lunch-and-learn presentation to Service Canada, June 2018
- “Estate Planning Fundamentals and Drafting Tips”, presentation to the Canadian Bar Association General Practice, Solo & Small Firm Section, April 2018
- “Powers of Attorney and Other Planning Matters”, presentation hosted by Tapestry at Wesbrook Village, October 2017
- “The Importance of Estate Planning” (Cantonese), presentation hosted by Burnaby Pacific Grace Church, October 2017
- “How to Take the Stress out of Estate Planning”, presentation hosted by WealthWave (Capitol Hill office), September 2017
- “Incapacity Planning for Seniors: what you need to know”, public presentation hosted by Legacy Senior Living, August 2017
- “Incapacity Planning”, presentation to Crofton Manor, March 2017
- “When the Executor is also a Beneficiary”, interview to Advisor’s Edge Magazine, April 2017
- “Wills and Estates: Practice Tips and Traps”, presentation to the Canadian Bar Association Young Lawyers Section, October 2016
- “The First Five Years of Practice”, presentation to the Christian Legal Fellowship National Conference, September 2016
- “Tools for Wills & Estates Planning”, presentation to the financial planners of World Financial Group, May 2013
- “A Primer on Wills & Estates Planning”, presentation to the National Bank of Canada, financial planning department, March 2013
- American Bar Association Negotiation Competition – First Place, University of Victoria, 2009
Bar AdmissionsBritish Columbia, 2011
EducationSTEP Canada Diploma, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, 2017 Juris Doctor, University of Victoria, 2010 Bachelor of Science (Cell Biology and Genetics), minor in Commerce, University of British Columbia, 2007 Exchange semester, University of Nottingham, England, 2005
Memberships and AffiliationsAscend Canada (Vancouver) Canadian Bar Association Federation of Asian Canadian Lawyers (Board Member: 2016 - present; Mentorship Committee Co-Chair: 2017 - 2018; Vice President - Internal: 2018-2019); Vancouver Bar Association Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (Full Member) Christian Legal Fellowship Vancouver African Violet and Gesneriad Society (Board Member: 2013 - present; Secretary: 2013 - 2016)
LanguagesEnglish Cantonese Mandarin