Tamara specializes in corporate and commercial disputes, employment litigation, real estate disputes, shareholder remedies, and intellectual property. She also handles complex family law matters involving businesses or complicated financial evaluations. Tamara honed her skills at several highly respected litigation firms in Los Angeles and has litigated numerous cases and class actions in California, Washington and the U.S. Federal courts.
With particular expertise in employment law and human rights disputes, Tamara regularly advises clients on risk management, litigation strategy and the most effective policies for wrongful dismissal, discrimination, severance packages, investigations, and HR management. She has taught employment and labour law to government officials, lawyers, and corporate executives. In addition, she is certified as a professional in human resources, U.S. PHR. Tamara is highly skilled at combining her strong litigation skills and business acumen to help her clients develop the most successful litigation strategies in a cost-efficient and highly effective manner.
Tamara has represented movie studios, technology and production companies, actors and newspapers in contract negotiations and breach of contract disputes, trademark litigation, copyright litigation, right to publicity, patent infringement, licensing disputes and related intellectual property litigation.
Ms. Dewar has written extensively on business and employment litigation. She has given numerous seminars on employment law and labour negotiations, as well as lectures on business/intellectual property matters and litigation strategy.
While practicing in California, Tamara was named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers, an award bestowed on the top 2.5 % of all attorneys in California who are under the age of 40 years. She has consistently been listed as a leading employment and litigation lawyer through client and peer rankings.
In 2016, Tamara returned home to her beloved British Columbia and began her articles with Lindsay Kenney. In her free time, she is an avid surfer, enjoys all outdoor activities, and has travelled to over 35 countries.
- Top Labour & Employment Lawyer-Washington and California, U.S. Coast magazine, 2015
- Professional in Human Resources-Legal, certified 2013
- Rising Star-Super Lawyer- top 2.5% of lawyers in California under the age of forty in Law & Politics and Los Angeles magazine, 2007-2009
- AVVO ranking-superb, 10/10
- B. Dubrienski International Masters of Law Academic Scholarship
- Neil J. MacDonald Award-highest mark in Criminal Law
- Canada Law Book Company Prize Award-highest mark in Family Law
- Solomon Greenberg Moot Court advocacy honours
- Carrigan Cup Advocacy Moot Court Team
- SEC’s Proposed Amendment to the Accredited Investor Standard, Orange County Business Journal, 2011
- One iPhone, a Couple Beers and a Potential Billion Dollar Mistake, Georgia Defense Lawyers 2010; Orange County Business Journal, 2010
- Protecting Your Company from Sexual Harassment Lawsuits, Orange County Business Journal, 2010
- Featured Presenter-Analysis of Implied-in-Fact Contracts, San Fernando Bar Association, 2007
- Guest Speaker, Trademark & Branding Basics Seminar -Los Angeles MCLE Marathon, 2007
- All ‘Dolled Up’ and Ready to Work, ECJ Employment Law Reporter; Martindale-Hubbell, 2005-2006
- There’s a Way to Protect Your Great Ideas From Theft, San Fernando Business Journal, 2006
- Congress Passes Anti-Spam Law: How Will This Affect Your Company. Martindale-Hubbell, 2006
- Supreme Court Holds Employee’s Failure to Report Harassment Limits Damages. ECJ Employment Law Reporter; Martindale-Hubbell, 2006
- Contributing Author, Advising and Defending Corporate Directors and Officers, California Treatise, 2002/03
British Columbia, 2017
United States Federal Court, Western District of Washington, 2014
State Bar of Washington, 2009
9th Circuit Court of Appeal, 2005
United States Federal Courts of the Northern, Southern, Western, & Central Districts of California, 2005
Masters of Law, University of San Diego School of Law, cum laude, 2001
Bachelor of Law, Robson Hall, University of Manitoba Faculty of Law, 2000
Bachelor of Arts, University of British Columbia, 1997
Memberships and Affiliations
Canadian Bar Association
California Bar Association
Washington Bar Association
BC Trial Lawyers Association