Legal Practice Areas:
Angela Thiele is a partner with Lindsay Kenney LLP. A general litigator with a varied practice, she leads LK Law’s Family Law group. Ms. Thiele handles employment matters for employers, employees and unions, estate and committee litigation, professional negligence matters, and real estate litigation. She has also acted for the insured in coverage disputes and in disability and life insurance claims.
As Lindsay Kenney’s leading family law lawyer, Ms. Thiele addresses complex divorce issues, property division, protecting business interests, custody and access disputes, tax implications upon marriage breakdown, and support payments. A trained mediator, she helps to guide the work of LK Law’s other divorce lawyers, child custody lawyers, and family law lawyers.
Ms. Thiele appears at all levels of court, including the Supreme Court of Canada, and has taken cases before many administrative tribunals, including WorkSafe BC, Unemployment Insurance Tribunals, and both the British Columbia and Canada Labour Relations Boards.
Born in Vancouver, Ms. Thiele obtained a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science in 1980, and a Bachelor of Laws in 1983, both at the University of British Columbia. She was awarded several scholarships, including the Law Society Gold Medal for the highest standing in the class over the three-year degree program.
Deeply engaged as a volunteer, Ms. Thiele has guest-lectured on family, estate, and employment law at the People’s Law School, Terminal City Club, Murray Axsmith & Associates, South Vancouver Family Place, Stenberg & Associates, and Continuing Legal Education. She has assisted the Law Society in professional discipline matters by participating in conduct reviews of other lawyers’ practices, and by advising lawyers how to respond to Law Society complaints.
Ms. Thiele has served as a director of Burnaby Library and Family Services of Greater Vancouver, and is a former Parks Board Commissioner for Burnaby. She has sponsored and organized several fundraising events for various charities including Ovarian Cancer Canada and Monarch House.
- Recognized in Best Lawyers ® in Canada in the area of Family Law since 2018
Publications and Presentations
- Trial Lawyers Association of BC – Anatomy of a Family File: A Litigator’s Guide – Best Practices for Working with a Court Reporter and Preparing Clients for Discovery (2018)
- Continuing Legal Education – Valuation Issues – Advanced Financial Issues in Family Law (2016)
- Guest Speaker, University Women’s Club of South Delta, 2013
- Continuing Legal Education – Imputing Income from Expenses – Family Law Drafting Boot Camp (2008) and Family Law Drafting Basics (2012)
- Continuing Legal Education – Spousal Support Guidelines – A New Era: Factors Considered by BC Courts in Recent Spousal Support Cases (2006)
- Continuing Legal Education – Undisclosed Assets – CLE BC Family Law Conference (2003)
- Continuing Legal Education – Slow Train Comin’ Are Spousal Support Guidelines Around the Bend? – CLE BC Family Law Conference (2003)
- Commissioner, Burnaby Parks, 2009-2012
- Board Member, Family Services of Greater Vancouver, 2007-2009
- Fundraiser-Organizer, Ovarian Cancer Canada, 2004-2006
- Board Member, Burnaby Library, 2000-2006
Bar AdmissionsBritish Columbia, 1984
EducationFamily Relations Mediator, FMC Cert. FRM, 2012 Bachelor of Laws, University of British Columbia, 1983 Bachelor of Arts (Political Science), University of British Columbia, 1980
Memberships and AffiliationsLaw Society of British Columbia; Civil Litigation and Family Law Subsections Vancouver Bar Association Canadian Bar Association