Chad grew up in the US state of Indiana and was called to the bar in Illinois in 2006 after obtaining a law degree from the University of Chicago. After a judicial clerkship, Chad practiced with the Hong Kong office of a large US-based firm, focusing on mergers and acquisitions, securities and cross-border business contracts and commercial matters. Chad then moved in-house as the general counsel for a technology startup company which he guided from formation to stable profitability. Chad joined Lindsay Kenney in 2018 as an articling student to fulfill the requirement for foreign-called lawyers.
Chad’s practice is focused primarily on mergers and acquisitions, corporate and commercial law, franchising, business contracts of any type, real estate and strategic advice for businesses. Chad is experienced in advising startups on the unique challenges they face. He also advises on doing business in China and in the United States.
Chad acts for purchasers and vendors on both share and asset sales, including the drafting of contracts for purchase and sale, and advises on financing and transaction structuring. Chad also acts for both franchisors and franchisees on the establishment or transfer of franchises. He routinely advises on business law matters large and small, including the negotiation and drafting of contracts for employment, shareholder agreements, partnerships and joint ventures. In the area of real estate law, Chad acts for both purchasers and vendors.
Chad strives to help his clients understand every phase of their transaction and ensure that they are confident in and satisfied with both the process and the results. He takes time to get to know his clients and understand their motivations, goals and frustrations.
Outside of his practice, Chad is a member of the board of a charitable foundation, plays hockey, chess and poker, and enjoys film. Chad also enjoys spending time with his children and volunteering at their school, and doesn’t mind when they beat him in Mario Kart.
Representative Experience – Merger and Acquisition
- Advised Australian precious metals mining and exploration company with respect to its US$90 million acquisition of a mine property in China.
- Advised US-based power generation equipment manufacturing and services company with respect to the US$25 million sale of its China subsidiary to European buyers.
- Advised US-based auto parts manufacturer with respect to the sale of its global brake business to a private equity firm and its formation of a US$60 million joint venture with a Chinese company.
- Advised BC-based forestry company on its $27 million sale to a private equity firm.
- Advised Fraser Valley-based company on its $2.5 million purchase of a company performing work under BC Hydro contracts.
Representative Experience – Securities
- Advised TSX-listed coal mining and exploration company with respect to U.S. and Hong Kong securities law as part of its HK$2 billion secondary listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised major global investment bank with respect to U.S. and Hong Kong securities law as part of its HK$1 billion underwriting of the listing of a China-based chemical manufacturer on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
Representative Experience – Franchising
- Advised several BC franchisees with respect to their franchise purchases and becoming franchisees.
- Advised a Hong Kong franchisee with respect to its strained relationship with a large international franchisor and its response to contract difficulties with the franchisor.
- Valiant Foundation, Board Member
- SD43 Coquitlam, Volunteer
- Engaged in pro bono legal services
British Columbia, 2019
Juris Doctor, University of Chicago, 2005
Bachelor of Science (Biology), Indiana University, 1999
Bachelor of Science (Psychology), Indiana University, 1999